Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Real Blogging

Since I have been away for a month the radio station is playing repeats of previous broadcasts this week and next. Usually on this blog I post the script of today's program, but I don't want to bore you with reruns. So... I thought I would try some REAL BLOGGING.

Here are some random thoughts:

A month away from our home and our church is too long.

I saw miles and miles of Texas.

The doctoral program I am in is the best thing I have ever done in terms of ministry preparation and encouragement. It's like the best of seminary and The Shepherd's Conference put together on steroids.

I got to visit with my dad, three of my brothers, a sister-in-law, my two nephews, my three sons, my two daughters-in-law, and my grandson. Sweet.

I enjoyed fellowship with lots of good friends.

I preached one time, I heard six live sermons, and I listened to 15 sermons driving around in my car.

I saw miles and miles of Texas.

You would think that since I'm starting a doctoral program on expository preaching that I would be an expert on the subject. I did learn a lot of helpful things but, in many ways, I feel like I'm just beginning to understand what preaching is all about. By the way, I preached my first sermon when I was 21. That's 32 years ago.

I got to spend a couple of days away with my sweetheart which was really nice. We also got to spend a lot of hours together in the car.

I saw miles and miles of Texas.

I'm ready to dive back into ministry. I'm praying that the Lord will bless our emphasis on The Year of the Gospel and that we'll see much fruit to His glory.

P.S. It seems that many have moved on from blogging to new forms of communication or it may just be that blogging was a fad that is now out of date. If you read this blog with any regularity, please let me know by leaving a quick comment.

10 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Bill Blakey said...

Oh, it's read all right. Thanks for keeping it real.

One of the ways that I have found that makes it easy for me to keep up with the many blogs I check is the Google Reader. Check it out at

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?hl=en&nui=1&service=reader&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F%3Fhl%3Den%26tab%3Dwy

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

What??? A "real blog????" Is that allowed?????? WHOO-HOO! No doubt, I agree --- a month away from home and church is toooooooooo long!!!!! It'll be great to have you guys back -- hopefuly rejuvenated, invigorated and refreshed despite the miles and miles of Texas you had to endure to make it back to us. Sure sounds like you had a profitable and beneficial time in California, though. Looking forward to hearing you "pump it up" from the pulpit on Sunday!! :)(said in my best Schwarzenegger steroids accent) Welcome HOME!!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I read your blog regularly and am very thankful for it!!! I am looking forward to seeing y'all on Sunday. ~Those miles & miles driving across Texas make for a LOOOOONG trip~ Donna

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Mrs. Nichole J. said...

I read! :-D

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Blakeys. I bet good old Buddy is wagging his tail off he's so happy. Yeah, and speaking of those miles and miles of Texas, have you ever wondered how the Cowboys did it? I mean, all that time in the saddle. Whoo Hoo.
Anyway, I digress, Blog On. See you on Sunday, God willing.
CB :)

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Blakey! Welcome back!

I read it! :)

-Stefanie

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela and I read it.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Yes I read your blog, very encouraging. Still in Canada and missing Texas.

D.Carrelli

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to and read your blog everyday. Thank you for taking the time to do it!!!!!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little late here, but we read and enjoy your blog. Please keep it coming and welcome back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home