Thursday, March 23, 2006

It Ain't Heaven Until Heaven

Last Sunday night I heard a sermon on heaven. Heaven is a wonderful place and I want to go there. But I have to constantly remind myself that it ain't heaven until heaven. Let me explain what I mean and see if you can relate.

Often times I can get frustrated, disappointed, and even downright angry because things aren't the way I would like them to be. I expect things to be a certain way. I expect people to act a certain way. When my expectations aren't met, then I am disappointed. The problem is that I have expectations that I have no right to have.

I live in a sin-cursed world. Things don't always go the way I expect. People don't always do what I expect. But neither do I. I don't always do what I should and I don't always respond to the circumstances and people in life like I should. It ain't heaven yet. When I keep this in mind then I can enjoy so much more. I am never going to know heaven here on earth no matter how hard I try to create it. Most people are trying frantically to produce a perfect world for themselves. Ain't gonna happen.

Heaven is something to look forward to. Heaven is our hope. I have to keep this in mind. I must remember that for the Christian, this world is the worst it is ever going to be. We have nothing but better things to look forward to. That's a kind of truth that can give me strength for today.

When we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be .

Maranatha.

2 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger roberta said...

Amen! Life is so much more enjoyable here when we don't expect it to be perfect. Only in the Lord can we find perfect satisfaction, and some day we will see Him face to face. Hallelujah!

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dad, Thanks for updating your blog! It is encouraging to look forward to heaven with a hope that does not disappoint. I think of how Mr. Rehrer used to say "Maranath" at the end of all of those services. And now He is with the Lord! Heaven is not just a dream, it is our future reality!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home