Saturday, January 28, 2006

Who's Your Hero?


When I was a boy growing up my heroes were either sports figures or historical legends. I would follow the accomplishments of Willie Mays and Jack Nicklaus or read about Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. I wanted to be like these men in one way or another. I was motivated by their example.

In college I came to know Christ as my Savior and my perspective on life was radically altered. While I still admired the exploits of heroic men, my focus now was more on spiritual characteristics and following the example of men who exhibited these qualities. I believe that we have a built in desire to emulate someone, its just a matter of who that someone will be.

Ultimately, for the Christian, that Someone is the Lord Jesus Christ. We are called to follow Him and to be like Him. As we strive to follow Him, however, it is helpful to have the example of others to encourage us. When I graduated from college I entered into the business world. I wanted to know how to represent the Lord in this arena without sacrificing other areas of my life. There were two Biblical examples that were most helpful to me in this way.

I was reminded of this yesterday morning at our men's breakfast. The speaker highlighted some principles from the book of Daniel. Daniel was and is an encouraging example to me. Along with Daniel I was also encouraged by Joseph. Both of these men rose to positions of governmental importance in ungodly countries (Joseph in Egypt and Daniel in Babylon). Yet both of these men were able to perform their duties in an excellent manner without sacrificing their walk with the Lord. The example of these men encouraged me to perform my business responsibilites with excellence yet without compromising my beliefs. There were difficulties along the way just as there were for Joseph and Daniel. There were temptations and stress, but there were also great blessings even, at times, blessings beyond what I could imagine.

I am thankful for these men, these heroes, who helped me to follow the Lord and serve Him. Who are your heroes?

1 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger roberta said...

I am thankful for not only biblical heroes, but for godly people that God has put in my life. From other believers I can learn and be encouraged to follow Christ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home