Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Relying on the Lord


The flurry of activity continues here around Grace Church as we anticipate the beginning of a new Shepherds' Conference. I just finished reviewing my notes for the seminar I will teach tomorrow. My seminar is called "Maneuvering Through The Ministry Minefield." A lot of explosive things can happen to set a ministry back or even destroy it. In the seminar we will look at biblically handling the common ministry threats so that we avoid those landmines.

My last point deals with the importance of relying on the Lord. The problems of ministry are too great for me to handle by relying on my self. Also, I cannot rely on others for a variety of reasons. I must rely on the Lord. He is the only One who will always be there and be able to strengthen me. Maintaining this perspective is so important and makes a crucial difference in my attitude and how I relate to people.

One example I always think of in this connection is that of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, Daniel's three friends. In Daniel 3 we read that these men refused to bow down to the king's idol and as a result they were thrown into the fiery furnace. They did what was right, they obeyed the Lord, and they were willing to suffer the consequences. But the Lord did not abandon them, He joined them in the furnace. The king saw this and he called the three men out of the furnace. That is an amazing thing. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego could have come out of the furnace if they wanted. Who was going to stop them? But they didn't come out until the king commanded them. The point is that it is better to be in the fire with the Lord then to be out of the fire with a king. You can always rely on the Lord.

2 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dad! Love the Shepherd's Conference blogs! I'm sure it is an exciting week down there and hope you have a great time. I will be praying for your seminar and can't wait to hear about it! I liked the line about being in the fire with the Lord. It is great to know that lo, He is with us always!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Evan said...

what an encouraging statement: "better to be in the fire with the Lord than to be out of the fire with a king." I'll definitely be keeping that in mind.
-Evan
PS. Thanks for letting me come hang and watch the Olympics last weekend with you and Ben and the Mrs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home