Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Where's the Love?


Take a look at this picture. Take a good look. What you see is a precious pooch. Baxter is his name, loving people is his game. He's friendly. He's funny. He's lovable. In my last post I told you of the plight of Baxter. We are leaving for California in less than three weeks and Baxter won't be making the move with us. We're looking for a good home for him. I asked for suggestions. Several times a day I eagerly check back thinking surely someone has some concern for Baxter. Alas, each time I check all I see is a zero next to "comments." Zilch. Nada. Absolutely no comments. What's the matter readers, has the cat got your tongue?

Let me exhort you from Scripture. Proverbs 12:10 says, "The righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." How 'bout a little regard, people! Don't you care? Do you want Baxter wandering the streets homeless? The rest of Proverbs 12:10 says, "But the compassion of the wicked is cruel." Is your compassion cruel? Hey, let's cut it straight. Let's respond to the truth.

Now I know what your thinking. You're wondering that if I love Baxter so much, if I care for him, like the scripture says, why am I leaving him behind? You're thinking that I am the one lacking in compassion. Not so!!! I'll tell you why as I told you already in my previous post. Our new home is not a good place for Baxter. It does not have the room he needs. I thought that surely Texans with all their wide open spaces would have a concern for this Texan mutt and his well being.

Having said all this, let me just say that I'm having some fun with you. Hopefully we have found someone who will take Baxter in and love him. It will be hard to say goodbye to the pooch, but we believe he will be happier staying here.

And it is not just the house that doesn't make moving with us so good for Baxter. We are moving to LA to serve on the staff at Grace Church. With Ben starting college, Roberta and I will have an empty nest and lot's of opportunity to minister. This ministry may involve a bit of traveling which is another reason not to have Baxter in our new home. Also, some of our traveling will be to visit Bobby and Christa and our grandchild (due in February 2006).

We have been blessed with the joy of pets over the years but the real joy comes from knowing the Creator and serving Him by teaching His word. We are eager to do this and look forward to serving Him in new ways and places.

And someday we'll probably get another dog.

2 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O brother...

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to cry. I would take him pastor blakey but my parents would kill me, we already have our hands full with George.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home