Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Big 5-0

Yesterday was the big day. It was the day I turned 50. I woke up about 5:15. Normally I would easily roll over and sleep for another hour (or more). Not this day. I don't know why. It's not like I was all excited as I was when I was a kid. I wasn't getting a Davy Crockett coonskin cap or a Bowie knife, or anything like that. I just wasn't able to go back to sleep. So during that time I reflected on God's grace to me over the past 50 years. It was a good time of reviewing His goodness and giving thanks to Him.

Then I got up and waiting for me at the kitchen table was a box of Krispie Kreme donuts. Not a bad way to start off a celebration of the big 5-0, however, I need to be more careful about what I eat if I want to see the big 5-1.

I was in the church office during the morning. I get the great privilege of spending most of my time studying God's word. This time was spent diving in to Galatians 3. I am amazed by God's grace in salvation. How foolish we are to add works into the equation. While I was studying, the ladies of the church were doing a Bible study on the attributes of God. Their children were being taught in The Happy Bible Club. What a great atmosphere for me to get to be in.

I left the office at noon because I was going to play golf with two of my sons, Bill and Ben. We had a great time out on the course. They say they let me win because it was my birthday. This is how it works in golf: When the other guy is better, you say you let him beat you. Right! I shot par (72). Not bad for a guy celebrating the big 5-0. We had a delightful time.

When I got home from golfing I received a call from my other son, Bobby. It was his wedding anniversary yesterday. Bobby and Christa got married on my birthday three years ago. Christa is still the best birthday present I have ever received. She is a wonderful and godly daughter- in- law. You can read her writings at blakeyblog. I had a nice conversation with Bobby. He tells me that these next 10 years should be my most fruitful years of ministry. I pray that this will be true.

Well, then Roberta, Bill, Ben and I went to a local restaurant for a birthday dinner. It was no big deal just a relaxing meal together. Mercifully, my family did not tell the restaurant that it was my birthday. It was a good thing too, because we heard the waiters sing Happy Birthday to some one else and it wasn't too good. Our waitress was a nice young lady and I noticed that she had a tongue stud. Why do people get tongue studs?

After dinner we came home to a "surprise" birthday party. It would have been a real surprise, but as we got closer to the house I recognized a lot of familiar looking cars. Cars that looked a lot like the ones I see in the church parking lot all the time. Sure enough, there was a large group of wonderful folks from the fellowship there to celebrate the big 5-0 with me. We a had a great time together and they were all very kind to me. I thank God for all the wonderful friends I have made as I have walked with Him. Most of all, I am thankful to my family and especially my terrific wife. She planned out this surprise and I really appreciated it.

The evening ended with a phone call from my dad. I have many special memories of great birthdays while I was growing up. I am one of seven children but I always knew that my parents loved me and they knew how to have a great birthday party for their kids. It was great to talk with my dad. We always have a good laugh together when we talk.

As I think about the big day yesterday, I again give thanks to my Heavenly Father. I was treated like a king yesterday. My friends said a lot of very nice and kind things about me. But I am very aware of who I am. I know the struggles that go on in my own mind. I know the sins that I wrestle with in my own heart. I know the desires that I continually have to fight against. My Heavenly Father knows all these things too, but He loves me nonetheless. If my friends and family could see in my heart they would probably think differently about me. The Heavenly Father does not hold these things against me because He sent His Son to die in my place to pay for all of my sins. I am amazed by God's grace and patience over these 50 years. I want to develop a more thankful heart and a greater love for Him in this coming year.

Thank you Lord for letting me enjoy turning the big 5-0.

2 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad!

I'm so glad to read that you had such a Happy Birthday! Praise the Lord! It's great that you can look back and see how good the Lord has been to you and I'm looking forward to the Lord giving you many more years of fruitful ministry!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Christa Blakey said...

Dad-
I'm so glad that you had a wonderful birthday. Welcoming in the big 5-0, sounds like it was a joyous time, I wish we could have been there to celebrate with you. I guess now that you are all moving out here we can enjoy times like that together and much more! I agree with Bobby that the Lord will continue to bless you abundantly in the years to come.
Happy Birthday!
-Christa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home