Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Finality

Tomorrow I will be at the memorial service in honor of my Mom. I was looking forward to seeing her the weekend that she died. Her death that Friday morning prevented me from seeing her. I wish I could have seen her at least one more time. I will never see her again on this earth. I will never speak to her again in this lifetime. However, tomorrow I am to speak at the service. I will need grace and strength and wisdom from the Lord.

The finality of death is sinking in. I will go to the house where my mother lived the last 37 years of her life, I will see some of her things, but she is not there anymore. That's the reality about death. It brings a definite end. There is a certain, unchangable finality about it.

Recognizing the inevitable finality of death must affect the way we live. We only have a certain number of days. We can't take anything for granted. We must make the most of the time we have and be prepared for the certain finality that we all face.

Most people live their life in fear of death. This is the great weapon of the enemy (Hebrews 2:14-15). In response to this fear people try to squeeze as much as they can out of their physical existence while trying to deny the inevitable. But there is no denying death.

There is only one who has defeated death. The Lord Jesus rose victorious from the grave demonstrating that He is the Son of God, He is the Savior of the World. Only those who trust in Him will know eternal, abundant life. This is real living - following the One who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

We must allow the Word of God to direct our thinking regarding life and death. We must learn to find our peace and joy in knowing and serving Christ. Death will not separate us from Him, rather it will bring us into His glorious presence. Hallelujah!

As I speak at my Mom's memorial service tomorrow many may have their thoughts focused on death and who knows what kind of thoughts they will be thinking. I hope, by God's grace, to speak of life, the life that comes only through Jesus Christ.

"The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is in the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 15:56-57)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home