Thursday, May 19, 2005

No Greater Joy

The Apostle John stated that there is no greater joy than to see your children walking in the truth (3 John 4). He may have been speaking primarily of spiritual children in this verse but in my case it is true of my physical children as well. The Lord graciously gave my wife and me three boys. It has been our pleasure to see them all come to know the Lord and we are witnessing the Lord at work in their lives. There is no greater joy.

On the other hand, there is no greater pain than to see children walk away from the truth, live in sin, and be apathetic towards the Lord. Sadly, this is the case for many Christian parents. Having pastored a church for ten years with a Christian school I have seen how it can be. The Bible warns parents not to provoke their children to anger (Ephesians 6:4) nor to exasperate them (Colossians 3:21) but parents do it none the less. They do it by not having a solid marriage. They do it by not being united in parenting their children according to God's word. They do it by displaying anger towards their children. They do it by not paying enough attention to their children. They do it by not teaching their children. They do it by not correcting their children. They do it by not loving their children. They do it by being selfish hypocrites.

It doesn't have to be that way. If parents will humble themselves they will find that God is gracious and His word is true. God is gracious! I am not the perfect dad and I do not have perfect children but God has been very gracious to us. I have purposed to parent according to God's Word - loving my children, teaching my children, correcting my children - and I have found God's Word to be true. What He says can be trusted, what He says is enough, and what He says comes true. His Word is bearing abundant fruit in the lives of my children.

There is no greater joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home