Thursday, July 21, 2005

Only A Prayer Meeting!

If we cut the Word of God straight we learn of all the great blessings that a believer in Christ possesses. One of those blessings is access to God through Jesus Christ. We can go to the Father in Jesus' name and enjoy fellowship, make our requests, bring our intercessions, cast our cares, express our thanks, etc. What a great privilege. Anytime, any where, I can enjoy communion with the Father because Christ has reconciled me to Him.

Not only is this a personal privilege, but it is a corporate one as well. As believers we can join together for times of prayer. The early church was committed to this practice. In Acts 2:42 it says that the believers were continually devoting themselves to prayer. Literally it reads, "the prayers." This is a reference to set times of corporate prayer. In Acts 3:1 we read of Peter and John going up to the temple at the hour of prayer.

The apostles and early church also would meet spontaneously to pray. We see examples of this in Acts 4:23-24 and Acts 12:5, as well as other places. The early church truly did devote themselves to this wonderful privilege of prayer. They didn't view it as a "have to" but rather as an incredible "get to."

Not only does the New Testament present us with the example of the early church, but we are commanded to pray. Colossians 4:2 says, "Devote yourselves to prayer." The "yourselves" is plural. It is a command to the church. 1 Timothy 2:1,8 also gives a command for prayer in every place, i.e. every church. God tells us to pray not only because it is pleasing to Him but it is for our good.

Unfortunately to many believers today it is only a prayer meeting. It's strictly optional and it is obviously way down the list of things to do. Prayer meetings usually have a very small turn out which to me is absolutely unexplainable. What activity, what TV program, what excuse is so compelling that it keeps people away from this privilege of praying together with other believers to the God of the universe?

Christians today are concerned about the downward spiral of our culture. They are appalled by the blatant sin that is so obvious in our society. Believers are concerned for the well-being of their chidren in the midst of the prevailing corruption. But when Wednesday night rolls around it's only a prayer meeting.

Christians are concerned about issues in their own lives. They have financial issues. They have health concerns. They need wisdom regarding important decisions they are facing. They are wrestling with sin in their life -immorality, fear, gossip, bitterness, etc. But when Wednesday night rolls around it's only a prayer meeting.

Christians are concerned about issues in their own church. They are concerned about projects that need to be completed. They are interested in important decisions that must be made regarding the future direction of the church. They wonder about ministries that go understaffed or altogether neglected. But when Wednesday night rolls around it's only a prayer meeting.

Do Christians really believe that prayer is a privilege and that it matters? Based on their, "it's only a prayer meeting" mentality you would have to seriously wonder. The reality is that most Christians see the Wednesday night prayer time as an inconvience rather that a glorious privilege.

Over the years of my ministry I have tried to make prayer a priority every way that I can. Regarding the formal prayer meetings I have tried to encourage, exhort, and even embarrass people into coming. The sad reality is that many people who are members of the church have never come to a prayer meeting or only very rarely. This is most perplexing to me.

I have been to many prayer meetings. Usually the turn out is disappointing but the time of prayer never is. How can it be? There I am with other believers and we are joining together in fellowship with our heavenly Father. What a glorious time it is when you really realize what it involves.

So, dear reader, what is it to you? Is it only a prayer meeting? No big deal. Take it or leave it. Or is it a wonderful privilege that you enjoy and appreciate because Christ has so wonderfully saved you and blessed you?

4 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger roberta said...

I must confess that at times I have thought of it as only a prayer meeting, but I am committed to attending, and I have never been disappointed. It is always a rich and worshipful time as we bring our praises and petitions to the God of the Universe, who delights in us casting our burndens on Him. What an awesome God we serve!

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,

I agree with you that it can be discouraging when people do not pray. However, it still is so encouraging to come confidently before the throne of greace even with just a few or by yourself. Thanks for the reminder it's more than a prayer meeting!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger loren said...

Hello Pastor Bruce,

I found your blog through the Base Camp blog. Prayer is an area I've been thinking about lately with some honest questions, not only from our point of view but God's.

First let me say, that I have a very active personal prayer life, but I do have some problems with corporate prayer. I'm not sure what corporate prayer is like in your church, but in mine it is like a circus. I think their own terminology is that they are 'bombarding heaven' with requests, usually in loud voices, laced with spiritual warfare and lots of other noise.

I really think our (our) concept of corporate prayer needs to be reexamined, but I'm sort of a lone voice about it. Any suggestions? Scriptural insights would be especially useful if you have a little time.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Blakey,

I got the address to your blog from my aunt, Donna Jordan, who goes to BF. I'm sure you know her. :) Although I have to admit to a reluctance to go to prayer meeting at times, I definitely agree with you about how much it is a blessing. I miss it when I'm not there. And being a pastor's daughter, I've seen from experience how few people show up regularly at prayer meetings; I have wondered about the reasons for this more than once before, and I think you hit the nail on the head. People just don't see it as necessary, when in fact it is just as necessary as Sunday morning service. Thanks for your reminder that it isn't "just prayer meeting"!

In Christ,
Amber :)

PS--You may not remember, but I came with my cousin Steven to a Bible study at your house once last year; I really enjoyed it, and thanks for the hospitality!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home