Saturday, July 16, 2005

Maranatha!

I just finished the longest week of my life. It began late last Friday night (July 8) when I was awakened to the news that my dear friends Bill, Pam, Bethany, and Amy Rehrer had tragically died in an auto accident. That left Matthew Rehrer, and his wife Kara, alone in his family. I immediately called Matthew and early Saturday morning I went to Houston, along with Roberta, Billy, and Ben, to be with Matt.

I have many memories of the Rehrer family. Bill and I worked so closely together for 9 1/2 years. We talked, and dreamed, and prayed about so many things. We encountered so many struggles together. We were constantly in one another's office for advise and counsel. He was a true co-laborer in every sense of the word.

Pam was always there at the school and ministering in the church. She was faithful to do so many things from singing, to gardening, to janitorial, to helping students. You name it, Pam did it, including taking great care of her family.

From a human perspective nobody has contributed more to the ministry of Believers Fellowship and Believers Academy than Bill and Pam.

Matthew is an exceptional young man with many talents. He grew up with my sons. Whether it was playing basketball or golf with Billy, or rooming in college with Bobby, Matthew has been very close to us. One summer he served as an intern for the church and he demonstrated a great heart for the children he ministered to.

Bethany grew to be an exceptional singer, which is what she loved to do - sing unto the Lord. It was always fun when she would be introduced as a member the The Master's College singing group "Majesty" at The Shepherds' Conference. All of us that would be there from BF would cheer her on. Bethany always told me that even though she had gone away to school, she would tell everyone that I was still her pastor.

Amy was a sweetheart. She was talented musically and in working with children. She would have been a sensational mom someday. She was so kind and encouraging to everyone. Even after she grew up she would still give me a hug after church.

Most of all, I will remember the fun we had with the Rehrers. When they would come over to our house and we would eat a meal and play games it was always a hoot. We have had some memorable events together as families.

Well, last Friday night's news began a blur of activities. We went to Houston Saturday. I preached a special message on Sunday morning (which I prepared at my dinner table late Saturday night) to the troubled hearts at BF. Monday was spent going to the cemetary, the funeral home, and making plans for a graveside service and a memorial service. Tuesday was spent finalizing those plans and putting my messages together. Wednesday was a very difficult day doing both services in the heat and in dealing with all the emotions. Wednesday night we had an elder's meeting. Thursday I flew to LA to go to a meeting at Grace Church where I will begin serving in September. Friday I flew home and did a premarital meeting Friday night.

Through all of this one word has been ringing in my mind. The word is Maranatha. It is a Greek word which means "O Lord, come!" It is expressing the desire that the Lord would return and be vindicated. It is the word that Bill would say at the end of every church service. Every Sunday morning and every Sunday evening after Bill would lead the closing hymn he would say the word, "Maranatha."

The Lord came for Bill, Pam, Bethany, and Amy on July 8. Now they are in His presence. No more pain, no more struggles. Nothing but love, peace, and JOY. The Lord still has a purpose for me and you (dear reader) to still be here. Let us be faithful to follow our Lord like our friends were. And let's live with the cry of our hearts being "MARANATHA!"

2 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,

Thanks for the reminder that we should be waiting for Jesus to come (Revelation 22:20). I think that sometimes we are afraid for Jesus to come for us because it will mean something final and tragic like death or the end of the world as we know it. The Rehrers looked past that to the joys of being with Him. They are a great example of those who died tragically but who live eternally in the joy of their Master!

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Bruce,
I praise the Lord for the grace He gave you this past week. Your words did give courage and strength to hurting hearts. One of my first thoughts last Saturday was to thank the Lord that you were still here in Texas and available to go and be there for Matt and Kara. Thank you for being vulnerable and honest with us when you too were hurting and helping us to realize that we serve a God who is big enough to deal with all of life's problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home