Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Change Of Course


Actually, I've decided to take to the course, the golf course. For years people have told me I should take my golf game out on tour. Especially, as I approached the age of 50, folks said I was made for the Champions (Senior) Tour. Well, 50 is a few years in the rear view mirror and so I've decided that if I'm going to do it, now is the time.
I was inspired by Tiger's victory over the weekend. If he can come back after eight months off following major knee surgery and win, then who's to say I can't come back after 30+ years away from competitive golf. I haven't had any surgery and I am certainly well rested.
In fact, after some of the ministry situations I've been through and some of the counseling cases I've handled, a three foot putt to win would be like playing on the playground.
So I'm going to put my ministry on hold and pursue my life-long dream of playing professional golf. Oh, I won't be totally leaving the ministry. I'll lead a Bible study out on tour and give my testimony at different events. Also, I'll write John 3:16 underneath my autograph so I'll be faithfully witnessing too.
Yes, I am going to suspend my ministry of following the Son for the time being as I follow the Sun out on the tour. No doubt the popularity I gain by being a golf champion will boost my ministry when I come back to it.
By now you might have guessed that this is an April Fools blog post and you would be right. I have the greatest job in the world. I have the privilege of proclaiming God's Word and I wouldn't give that up for anything. The guys out on the tour can rest easy - I'm staying in the pulpit.
I hope that both of you who might read this post had some fun with me.

5 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Anonymous dee e. said...

Good one Pastor Bruce....I wonder what Tiger posted on his blog today. Maybe he announced that he's taking up a position as a Pastor of a church. I'm sure that announcement would bring him a lot more news coverage than his recent championship. Anyway, we're so glad to have YOU as our pastor.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although, if you went on tour, you could more easily take Buddy for a walk. Chalk me up for reader #2 who thought it was funny though.

Buddy's Blogging Friend

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew right away you were not leaving the ministry. NO WAY!! :) I understand you play golf very well. Yes, those other golfers can rest easy they do not have you to compete against! We are very thankful and blessed to have you as our pastor. We appreciate all that both you and Roberta do.
Donna

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very funny, but please don't do that again.
dru

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Bobby Blakey said...

Dad,

I enjoyed the humor here. But based on the testimony of your life and ministry I was not fooled!

Praying for your trip on the 23rd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home